2 Interesting Problems.
Yesterday while preparing to make the very first move with our caravan these 2 elements caused some problems. Sorry, no pictures for this post, because I was so busy trying to work out what to do that I clean forgot about the camera. They would have provided some great images to look back on!
The fine weather forecast for yesterday meant that the annexe canvas was going to be dry after a couple of days with a few showers. An ideal opportunity to dismantle it and store it away.
Well, that was the plan. Yes, the sun was shining and the annexe walls dried out nicely. Part of the walls had been removed and then a strong North wind started to appear. Decision made: get the annexe down soon and roll up the awning before the wind gets too strong.
All was going to plan until I removed the peg keeping one leg of the awning on the ground. Right at that moment a gust of wind took one end of the awning up onto the top of the caravan. That leg, which also serves as the arm connected to the caravan, when it flipped up, pulled out the bolts and screws holding it to the caravan wall.
We were left with the awning half over the caravan and half in the right place. thankfully there appears to be no damage to the awning material and the fittings apart from the bolts that were pulled out. It has been rolled back into place and seems to be sitting well in the rolled up position.
I’m not sure why I disconnected the water yesterday, but when I did, I discovered that the hose connecting the park’s tap to my caravan had a mass of white powdery stuff come out of the end when I turned on the tap. Strange, I thought.
But that it seems, was not the problem that stopped water from coming from the taps when I reconnected it. There was just a trickle getting through, and than that stopped completely. So I removed the hose again from the caravan and looked inside the fitting. It was black and slimy. There is a simple filter that is meant to catch any particles that might be in the water. And this was covered by the slimy matter.
After clearing the gunk from the filter and replacing the hose, still no success. Remove the hose again and check the filter. Yes, blocked again.
So I ran water through the hose and collected it in a bucket. Several more bits of the black/green slimy matter were collected. After running water from the tap, without using the hose, I discovered that none of the gunk came from the tap.
Conclusion: The expensive white hose that is meant to make sure that the water does not get the rubber taste of ordinary garden hose AND is supposed to stop the formation of algae, was not very effective at that. The black/green slimy stuff was algae.
The growth of the algae and the white powder (probably calcium deposits) had been building up over the 5 months that the caravan was connected. I had noticed that the water appeared to running slowly, but because that slow down had been gradual it had not attracted my attention.
I also have to wonder why it took until the last day at the park to discover that the water supply to caravans is not town water, but from an underground source. This bore water obviously has some mineral content, probably calcium from the limestone in which the underground water is stored. That also explains why water left on the sink left white marks when it dried. Another new experience and something to look out for at future caravan parks.
In the next few days I should also check the anode in the hot water service to see what effect the bore water has had on that.
We made the move.
Despite these little problems, we did manage to pack up everything and make the first move with our caravan earlier today. Not a big move, but it was a significant step and helped with a couple of things that need to be done for smooth travelling. More about that later.